Thursday, March 4, 2010

Simplicity and Weightlessness...

This is a little project I made for my monthly hybrid project over at scrapbookgraphics.com. It features this little bird that is in the newly released Impressions of Simplicity Kit by the Studio Girls. This whole kit is really wonderful, but the little bird stole my heart – I’ve named her Pilot. I’ve decided she is going to be my little guide and help remind me of my “one word” for 2010 – weightless. So I combined my “one word” and Pilot into a wall hanging for my studio.

Products: Flowers: Prima; Glimmer Mist (Crushed Shells): Tattered Angels; Flowers: Prima; Brads: Queen and Company; Wooden Frame: Michaels.  Digital Products: Impressions of Simplicity Kit by Studio Girls at scrapbookgraphics.com; Big Blue from Rosey Posey at scrapbookgrpahics.com; CK Ali's Hand Font.

This “one word” concept was the first assignment in Tangie’s Art Journal Caravan (AJC). I picked weightless for 2010 because this year I want to focus on addressing the things that weigh me down. Like the things I think I should be doing, or doing more of, or things that I put off because I hate to do them. I need to put some processes in place where these things get off my list more quickly so I can have a lot more moments of weightlessness in my life.


Below are some images of the wall hanging. The background graphic uses digital elements, except the font, from the IO Simplicity Kit. The large font is Big Blue from Rosey Posey. The little handwritten font is CK Ali's Hand.

I sized the bird to fit nicely on the graphic then printed the background and the bird separately and trimmed them out. The wall hanging frame is essentially just a really shallow balsa wood box. I think it cost less than a dollar at my local craft store. I sprayed the entire box with Crushed Shells Glimmer Mist (Tattered Angels), this is one of my favorite glimmer mist colors. I also used it on the edges of the graphic – I think it added a lot of depth to the graphic. The images below show the frame and graphic with and without the glimmer mist so you can see the differences.


The project was pretty simple to assemble. I glued the graphic to the back face of the wall hanging; placed a strip of double-sided tape along the bottom left corner of the wall hanging and then clumped some corrugated kraft paper on it for the nest. I inserted the bird into the nest with some 3D glue dots and then added the little flowers. And that’s it – Pilot is now ready to be my little reminder to strive to be weightless!


Thanks so much for stopping by today!  Take care - Patty

2 comments:

Pearl Maple said...

Nicely done!
Great theme and ever so pretty creation, like all the little details you added to make this special.

Audra said...

sooo pretty!!